Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sticktoittiveness

It has been over two weeks since my last post. I am proud to say that I am making improvements in my life for the better. I have been active at least 3 times a week (thanks to my sister who is on the ball! GO NAY NAY!!!) If it wasn't for her I would probably be back to my old sedate ways, as much as I hate to admit it. I do have more energy. I feel sexier (which is mostly mental at this point - too soon to see any REAL changes yet). While I feel the draw of the old habits trying to pull me backwards, I am still keeping my focus and not giving up this time.

I have finally developed what I like to call "Sticktoittiveness". Sticktoittiveness is defined as the "ability to engage in a new endeavor long enough to achieve a desired outcome". You won't find this on Wikipedia - I don't think - as it is a word I made up. Although, I think it is Wiki-worthy.

There are 3 levels of sticktoittiveness. Nay Nay has been engaged in Level 1 - the highest level of determination possible. She has been on a mission to get out of the fitness funk she's been in, in exchange for a total health transformation. I am so proud of her. On the other hand, I have been engaging in the lowest form of the stick-to-it attitude, Level 3. I haven't given up, but I am struggling with the initiative to get out and exercise on my own. But, if Nay Nay calls and wants to work out, I won't make an excuse. I go with her.

There are plenty of excuses I could make to stay put. But, I have forced myself to come up with a reason why the excuse won't work. For example:

Excuse: It's too hot.
Solution: Work out indoors.

Excuse: My A/C is broken (this really did happen) and it's 84 degrees in the house.
Solution: Go swimming instead.

Excuse: But I have the baby.
Solution: Put her in a floaty and swim laps with her.

(can you see the argument with myself going on??)

Excuse: But it is lightning outside.
Solution A: Either wait until the storm passes or -
Solution B: Hop in the car and drive to the mall. Walk the mall.

So far I haven't been able to think of an excuse for the mall walking yet.


Excuse: I don't feel like it.
Solution: That's not an excuse.

Level 2 is the point at which you are being consistent with your actions to achieve your goal, but it is based on motivation. It is very easy to slip from Level 2 to Level 3 if you rely on the feeling of motivation to propel you. Nay Nay is a strong Level 1 - sticking to her goals by any means necessary even if she doesn't feel like it.

I did have some setbacks these past two weeks. The main problem was I threw out my back - BAD. I couldn't stand up, walk, or even sit up in bed. Caring for Dani was a monumental task. I was so angry at myself because I knew this would deter me from my goal. Sure enough, I went from working out every day to being laid up in bed for 3 days. Oh, how the determination was extinguished! All because I bent over to pick up a toy the wrong way.

Slowly, I am easing back into low-impact activities. Walking and a lot of time in the pool (which is ideal for summertime). But the wind has definitely been let out of my motivational sails. I am blessed to have a sister who is stronger than I am. I just hope should the time come she needs a push in the right direction, I can be the rock she's been for me.

That is motivation to strive for Level 1 sticktoittiveness in itself.

1 comment:

TMWillingham said...

Your point about positive reminders and reinforcement from Nay Nay is an important one. There was an interesting article in the paper today about an interesting "lifestyle intervention" program that simply consists of regular email reminders to make healthy choices:

http://www.jmir.org/2008/4/e43/HTML

There's a related Power Point here:

www.nutritionquest.com/products/ALIVE_program_overview.ppt

But the article noted that you don't have to subscribe to any service to do this -- just select what you want to improve in your life and set your own regular pop-up email reminders. Or write them for each other for that added peer oomph! :-)

I see a fun support group practice in the making!